LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHESAPEAKE - Investigators do not yet know what sparked fire at a Chesapeake restaurant early Tuesday, but they have determined that the fire started in the kitchen.

A 911 call reported smoke coming from Amory's Seafood at 2449Old Taylor Road, near Chesapeake Square Mall, just before 5:00 a.m.

A large section of the roof collapsed during the fire and was removed Tuesday by a crane, including a large scorched metal structure which appeared to be a vent hood.

Firefighters said light smoke filled the inside of the building, but there was significant damage because the fire went through the roof.

No one was hurt and firefighters had the fire under control an hour later.

The restaurant closed at 9:00 pm and all employees left at midnight.

The business started in 1972 and the family says they will rebuild.

The intersection was blocked, causing the nearby La Petite Academy at 2453 Taylor Road to close because there's no access, according to its website.

Fire officials said the daycare and Farmers Bank, in the same strip mall, have moderate smoke damage.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/09/14804708/