CHESAPEAKE-- Investigators say a fire on Saturday which destroyed 32 storage units in a Deep Creek self-storage facility started in a unit owned by a man who was keeping snakes warm with heat lamps.

According to Capt. Scott Saunders with Chesapeake Fire Department, the unit had aquariums containing six snakes and an extension cord was used to power the heat lamps. He had also placed towels over the tops of the aquariums, authorities stated.

Investigators couldn't determine if the fire originated in the extension cord, the heat lamps or if the towels caught fire.

Renters who were affected by the fire were on the scene Sunday trying to salvage what they could.

The storage facility is collecting gifts for four-year-old twin boys and an 11-year-old girl. Their grandmother, Becky Phelps, said the gifts the children were in her unit.

Read or Share this story: