NEWPORT NEWS - Fire damaged a townhouse in Newport News Wednesday morning.

Crews were called to Advocate Court around 11:30 a.m.

Dominique King says she's lived in that unit for more than two years. She said she was asleep when the smell of smoke woke her up. She, another adult and her two children, ages one and seven, got out safely.

The American Red Cross says they are providing food, clothing and lodging to King and her two children.

Police tell us that the road was blocked for the firefight.

Officials said it appears the fire was electrical in nature. The townhouse is a total loss.

The Newport News Fire Department will install free smoke alarms for anyone living in the city. Call the 'Smoke Detector Hotline' at 926-8009 to arrange an appointment.

Read or Share this story: