LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

10:30 a.m. UPDATE: The Red Cross provided lodging and food assistance to one adult.

NORFOLK-One person was displaced when fire started at a housing complex for the elderly in Norfolk.

Firefighters were called to Calvary Towers on Virginia Beach Blvd. around 3:00 a.m. Thursday and found heavy smoke on the fourth floor of the six-story building.

Utha Hill lives on that floor and smelled smoke. She says she went around knocking on her neighbor's doors to wake them up.

Firefighters had the fire under control in about 20 minutes and say the fire was contained to one apartment.

The cause of the fire was unattended cooking, officials stated.

There were no mandatory evacuations, but many of the residents left on their own.

Firefighters say all the smoke detectors in the building were working.

No one was hurt.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/local/mycity/norfolk/2014/09/10/14834094/