SUFFOLK -- Five people were put out of their home because of a fire that killed eight pets in Whaleyville Sunday evening.

Suffolk Fire & Rescue and the Suffolk Police Department were at the house in the 200 block of Collins Road shortly after 6:00 p.m.

Flames were coming through the roof and windows of the single-story modular home when firefighters got there.

Family and friends are helping the people displaced by the fire. Four cats, a dog, and three snakes died in it. No people were hurt.

Investigators determined it started accidentally in the kitchen.

Read or Share this story: