6/17 UPDATE: A judge denied Smith bond during a hearing Tuesday morning. He now awaits extradition to Maryland.


PORTSMOUTH -- Michael Smith still has a bullet lodged inside his chest. What he doesn't have are answers as to why a Chesapeake police officer opened fire on him Thursday in Portsmouth.

Smith, who is currently in Portsmouth City Jail, told 13News Now he was walking to his mother's house on South Street near Cumberland Avenue when he heard a car speed up behind him.

'He didn't say, 'Police,' he didn't say nothing,' explained Smith. 'They just shot.'

The Portsmouth Police Department, which is handling the criminal investigation, said the Chesapeake officer who shot 27-year-old Smith did so from inside an unmarked car.At this point, there is no indication Smith was armed at the time.The unmarked car had a bullet hole in the driver's side windshield following the shooting.

Smith said he heard another officer question the use of force immediately afterwards.

'His partner asked, when they shot, he asked, 'Why did you shoot?' and the cop, he didn't come back out, I don't know where he went,' said Smith.

Police said the Chesapeake officers were part of a fugitive task force that came to Portsmouth to serve Smith with an outstanding warrant.

He is wanted in Elkton, Maryland on several burglary and weapons charges.

Smith said he was unaware of the outstanding warrant, and claims he's innocent of the charges against him.

Police have not said why the officer used his gun.

'I just feel like there's something shady and being covered up,' said Donna Hampton, Smith's mother.

Hampton told 13News Now she contacted a lawyer and vowed to take legal action against the Chesapeake Police Department.

Smith will be in court Tuesday morning for an arraignment, where the judge will discuss possible extradition to Maryland where Smith would face the outstanding charges.

Police have not said if there will be any additional charges against Smith as a result of what happened Thursday.

Investigators will turn over the case over to the Portsmouth Commonwealth's Attorney's Office for review.

The officer who fired the gun is on administrative leave, which is standard procedure for a police-involved shooting.
Read or Share this story: