CHESAPEAKE -- Six people are homeless tonight after a fire damaged their home in the Crestwood section of Chesapeake Thursday evening.

Firefighters were called to the fire in the 700 block of River Creek Road at 5:23 p.m. They found heavy smoke coming from a one-story home.

Firefighters had the fire under control at 5:46 p.m.

The fire, which appears to have been started by shorted electrical wiring, caused moderate smoke and fire damage to the home.

There were no injuries, and the Red Cross has been contacted to assist the six people displaced.

Read or Share this story: