11/27 UPDATE: Rockbridge Area Community Services released a statement following the death of Gus Deeds after being released from their facility:

The hearts of all staff at Rockbridge Area Community Services go out to the Deeds family at this most difficult time. We will continue to keep them in our thoughts and prayers.
I know firsthand the dedicated, caring, and professional manner in which the staff at RACS goes about performing their jobs day in and day out while serving individuals in need of mental health services in our community.
We look forward to working with Senator Deeds and the General Assembly as we seek to improve the delivery of mental health services throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Dennis A. Cropper, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Rockbridge Area Community Services

11/22 UPDATE: UVA Medical Center tells 13News Now that Sen. Deeds was released this morning. He tweeted this message late Friday morning: 'I am alive so must live. Some wounds won't heal. Your prayers and your friendship are important to me.'

HOT SPRINGS (AP) -- As police studied evidence in the attack on state Sen. Creigh Deeds, a Virginia health official says his office opened an investigation into why the legislator's son was reportedly released from emergency custody.

Media outlets reported the emergency order was issued for Gus Deeds on Monday, the day before he stabbed his father and killed himself with a rifle at the family's farm in western Virginia.

Gus Deeds was apparently taken to the Rockbridge Area Community Services center, which treats mental illness and substance abuse, but he was released because they couldn't find a psychiatric bed for him. Several hospitals say they had space.

Douglas Bevelaqua is the director of the inspector general program for behavioral health in Virginia. He says an investigation was opened into the conflicting reports.

13News Now reported Wednesday that two hospitals near the facility that evaluated Gus Deeds said they had psychiatric beds available but were not contacted.

Sen. Deeds remained in good condition Thursday, officials with the University of Virginia Medical Center told 13News Now

AP-WF-11-21-13 0915GMT

Read or Share this story: