CHESAPEAKE -- A woman in a wheelchair was rescued from her upstairs apartment Wednesday after fire broke out in the unit below.

Crews responded to the fire in the 1100 block of Hull Street in Chesapeake around 2:30 p.m.

Officials said the fire was started by unattended cooking and the damage was contained to the kitchen.

A family of four was displaced from the first floor unit.

The woman in the upstairs unit refused medical treatment. No other injuries were reported.

Read or Share this story: