UPDATE 4/3: Nasair Smith's uncle, Shawn Jones, said the boy had his first surgery yesterday. The surgery was on Nasair's leg which had been broken. Jones said the operation was successful.

Doctors removed the fiber optic lens from his brain, 'but when they removed him from the ventilator his heart rate dropped, so he's back on the machine,' Jones said.

Nasair remains in the PICU at CHKD.

As for the driver of the SUV, police spokeswoman Karen Parker-Chesson said they are 'awaiting information on charges.'

UPDATE 4/1: The boy's uncle, Shawn Jones, tells 13News Now Nasair is breathing 10 percent on his own. 'The rest is life support. We are all praying and this is heart breaking,' Jones said.

NORFOLK -- 'His head is gashed down the middle, and his body's split on the side,' said Shawn Jones, describing some of his 7-year-old nephew's injuries.

Late Monday, Nasair Smith was in Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters being treated for a broken shoulder blade, arm, leg and pelvic bone. Doctors put a fiber optic lens in his head to measure swelling of the brain.

An SUV hit Smith in front of his home on West 38th Street at about 4:45 p.m. Monday. The home, located in the 800 block, is directly across the street from 38th Street playground.

'He asked his mom can he come over here across the street and get something, not sure what, but she was like, 'Okay,'' recalled Laveda Evans, who was with Smith and his mother, Sofia Jones.

'She watched him come across the street.He came across the street. As he was coming across the street, a car hit him. The car was speeding,' Evans told 13News Now. 'All you hear was the loud impact of his body being hit. He was drug for a little bit.'

Evans and others expressed concern about the lack of safety measures along the stretch of West 38th Street, given the fact there is a city playground there.

'The signs need to be either pushed back. There need to be flashing lights. They need something,' said J.C. Davis. 'I mean they have a city park here. I mean, I think they should have a crosswalk for the kids, or speed bumps, or something.'

Paramedics took him to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital before doctors transferred him to CHKD.

The driver of the SUV involved remained there after she hit Smith.

Late Monday, officers had not filed charges against the driver.
Read or Share this story: