UPDATE 6:32 PM: Police say an elderly woman has been transported to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital with minor, non life-threatening injuries. EMS treated her on scene for minor smoke inhalation.

Police spokeswoman Amy Valdez says the fire was small and contained to the apartment where it started on the second floor of the building. Investigators believe the fire was cooking related.

Crews evacuated occupants on the second and third floors to the stairwell of the building. Overhaul is complete and ventilation is almost finished.

Units will clear thew scene shortly.


VIRGINIA BEACH-- Fire & EMS are on the scene of an apartment fire that occurred Saturday afternoon.

Crews responded to a call of a fire at the Sullivan House retirement community in the 2000 block of General Booth Blvd.

Police spokeswoman Amy Valdez says one person was removed from the apartment and is now with EMS for treatment. There is no word at this time on the person's condition.

Valdez reports that the fire has been knocked down and crews are now working on overhaul.

Stay with 13News Now for updates as they become available.

Read or Share this story: