VIRGINIA BEACH-Class at a Va. Beach school was delayed Tuesday - not because of the cold weather but because of a natural gas smell.

'Administrators arriving at Tallwood High School noticed a distinct odor of gas in a hallway and called maintenance crews and Virginia National Gas,' spokeswoman Lauren Wicks told

They determined a gas regulator on a line outside the Tech Ed hallway malfunctioned.

Students were moved into the gym while VNG crews worked to make sure the building was safe.

A 13News Now viewer said, 'The smell is very apparent in building, especially in upstairs portion of school. The academic wing has been cleared and doors have been opened downstairs to get gas out.'

Another viewer posted on the WVEC13 Facebook page, 'I called the main office and was told that they had the leak under control and would be sending the students to class.'

The gas company has tested the air and it's safe, Wicks noted.

'Classes will go on as scheduled and we will not use the classrooms on the Tech Ed hallway,' Wicks stressed.

She said students were never taken outside and will not have to be outside because of this incident.

Wicks said parents were being notified of the situation.

AlertNow Message:

This is an important message from Cheryl Woodhouse, principal of Tallwood High School. I need to advise you that this morning a gas regulator on a line outside of our tech ed hall malfunctioned. As a result, there was a distinct odor of gas in that hall when administration arrived at school. Virginia Natural Gas and school maintenance personnel were immediately alerted. The gas to that hall was disconnected. Virginia Natural Gas did the appropriate testing and deemed the building safe. I want to assure parents that no students were held outside in the cold. They are currently in the gym. We will begin classes shortly, but we will not be using classrooms on the tech ed hall today. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Read or Share this story: