NEWPORT NEWS-- The Red Cross is assisting three adults and two children after their home was destroyed by a fire Thursday.

Smoke and flames were coming out of the windows when crews arrived to the home in the 1300 block of 36th Street around noon.

Everybody living at the home was able to escape without any injuries.

Authorities believe the fire was started by a space heater.

The home has been condemned due to the extensive damage, which is estimated at $25,000.

Firefighters want to remind people to make sure there is enough room surrounding space heaters to prevent fires. There should not be any combustible material near the heaters and it is recommended to maintain a 36-inch clearance on all sides of the space heater. Also, space heaters should be plugged directly into an electrical outlet, it is not recommended to use extension cords or outlet strips with space heaters.

Firefighters also want to remind everyone that smoke detectors save lives. Test your detectors monthly and follow the manufacturer's instructions on when and if to change the batteries.

If you would like the NNFD to install a free smoke detector call the 'Smoke Detector Hotline' at 926-8009 to make arrangements.

Read or Share this story: