SUFFOLK - The library on W. Washington Street in Suffolk was briefly evacuated Friday after crews at a nearby construction site damaged a gas line.

Staff could smell the gas inside the Morgan Memorial Library, so officials decided it was best to close until the leak was stopped.

It reopened at 11:30 a.m. after the gas company determined levels inside the library were safe. Officials say no programs had to be cancelled.

City officials say the line was damaged around 9:45 a.m. and Virginia Natural Gas crews secured the leak by 11:00 a.m.

Read or Share this story: