NORFOLK -- Work is underway to help the family of Officer Brian Jones who died after someone shot him while he was on duty Friday night.

Norfolk police said 29-year-old James Brown shot randomly from his SUV on Chesapeake Boulevard at about 11 p.m. The gunfire hit 17-year-old Mark Rodriguez, who was in his car at the time. Rodriguez died.

35-year-old Officer Brian Jones was among the police who responded to the shooting. Jones found Brown's Jeep close to Brown's home in the 7400 block of Wellington Road, near Stanley Road.

Off-duty officer, 28-year-old Curtis Allison, came to help.

Police Chief Michael Goldsmith said moments later, Brown started shooting a high-powered rifle from the doorway of his home, hitting Jones several times and hitting Allison.

Jones died as a result.

'He loved his job. He loved his community, and he will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him,' Goldsmith said during a news conference Saturday morning.

The Virginia Public Safety Foundation provides immediate support for dependents of officers killed in the line of duty, as well as assists injured officers and their families.

'We aim to provide some crisis intervention, money maybe to help the families bridge that gap from when the incident occurs to when the family gets line-of-duty benefits from the state,' explained VPSF President Paula Miller, who told 13News Now the foundation also will help with the educational costs of Jones' daughter and 2 sons.

'When the Jones children go to college, we'll be there for them. We'll have a check for them every semester of their college years, so they, too, will know their dad was never forgotten,' said Miller.

Allison, who survived the shooting, received assistance from the organization

'He was injured just a year ago, himself, in the line of duty, and I was part of some emergency funds to help him, 'cause he was out of duty for awhile,' said Miller.

Jones' name will be added to the Public Safety Memorial Wall in Richmond, joining 843 others.

More names from the City of Norfolk appear on the wall than from any other locality in the Commonwealth.

Police said after Brown shot Jones and Allison, he left the area in a vehicle, speeding across East Little Creek Road, and hitting another car. At that point, Brown supposedly ran from the vehicle with a gun, and refused to comply with a third officer's commands.

The third officer tried to arrest Brown, but police said Brown fought back, trying to disarm the officer.

Police shot and killed Brown.

Read or Share this story: