LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

VIRGINIA BEACH -- 14 people were forced from their homes when fire swept through one side of a duplex in Virginia Beach.

Crews were called to the 100 block of Morrison Avenue around 3:10 a.m. by a neighbor, authorities told WVEC.com.

Firefighters believe the fire started in the kitchen of the unit on the back of the building, but the danger forced everyone out.

Four people, including a firefighter, suffered minor injuries. A teenager was taken to the hospital for further treatment.

Investigators say unattended cooking is to blame for the fire.

The Red Cross is on the scene to assist residents who need help.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14878228/