CHESAPEAKE-Firefighters battled flames and cold temperatures at a home on Beechwood Dr. in Chesapeake.

A next door neighbor says he heard an explosion around 2:30 a.m. and went outside to see what happened. He says he tried to put out the fire but the flames were too intense.

The family got out safely because of working smoke detectors, said fire department spokesman Capt. Scott Saunders.

Most of the damage to the front of the house was in the garage. There were scorch marks up the front of the garage. The interior of the home has smoke damage, Saunders added.

The cause of the fire appears to be malfunctioning electrical equipment.

With Chesapeake's smoke detector program, qualifying residents call and have the fire department install a detector at no cost. Qualifications: Live in Chesapeake
Have annual income less than $35,000 If you're over age 60, you can get one regardless of income Call 757-966-7548, Monday through Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Read or Share this story: