LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NORFOLK -- Unattended cooking caused a fire that displaced five people in a Norfolk apartment, fire officials said Friday.

Crews were called to 708 Lesner Avenue around 3:30 a.m. and they arrived to find smoke coming from the first floor unit.

The residents got out safely; firefighters had to take some fire-damaged items, like the stove and a couch, outside to completely extinguish fire.

Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to other apartments, but the second-floor unit has smoke damage.

The fire was under control at 3:58 a.m., said Battalion Chief Harry Worley.

The Red Cross is helping the five adults.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/05/14742188/