LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NORFOLK - Fire in a trash chute forced the evacuation of COGIC high rise in Norfolk.

Crews got to the scene in the 2400 block of E. Va. beach Blvd. around 9:00 a.m.

'We've determined that someone threw something in the garbage chute that caught fire,' Battalion Chief Mike Hicks told WVEC.com.

The fire is out, but firefighters were pulling trash out from the bottom to get to a blockage, he added.

No one was hurt and residents were expected to be allowed back in their units shortly.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/08/14789818/