VIRGINIA BEACH - 'I just want the public to know that we are so sorry for the loss of them two boys, and the fiancee and that newborn baby,' said April Dunnaway, pushing her words through tears. 'If they can just, people can just pray and not judge, you know, don't judge us, you know, that's my child that I beared, and I love him, no matter what.'

Police arrested her son, 22-year-old De'Andre Dunnaway, Thursday night. He and his girlfriend, 19-year-old Cheari Edwards, are accused of murdering a co-worker and the co-worker's brother during a robbery Rally's at 845 Lynnhaven Parkway.

A delivery driver called officers after he saw a body inside the restaurant early Tuesday morning. Police said Alphonso White, 27, and Michael Johnson, 19, had been shot to death.

White, who was engaged to be married, recently had a son.

'I just can't believe that my son would do that, you know, brought up Seventh Day Adventist, going to church. I mean, he was just here Thanksgiving with us, and celebrate Thanksgiving, you know. He was trying to get in the military, working and stuff,' Dunnaway's mother told 13News. 'I'm just, I'm at disbelief.'

'I love my brother. He always looked out for me,' stated Jenay Dunnaway.

Dunnaway's family said he brought Edwards to their home during his Thanksgiving visit. At that time, they'd been dating for about 3 months.

'She seemed to be someone when we had met her, someone who had her head on straight, you know. She knew that she wasn't too much for foolery,' offered Richard Dunnaway, Dunnaway's father. 'It seemed like she was trying to keep De'Andre straight as well., and that's what he needed.'

Police aren't saying what led them to Dunnaway and Edwards. They are charged with 2 counts of Murder, Armed Robbery, and 3 counts of Use of a Firearm, and Conspiracy.

Kim Francis, a spokeswoman for Rally's, issued a statement Friday: 'We are shocked and devastated by the circumstances of this tragedy. Our hearts are broken for the victims' mother, fiancee, and the rest of their loved ones, and we are grieving as a Rally's family. We continue to fully cooperate with the police in their investigation in any way we can,' she said.

Francis also said the restaurant will remain closed for the immediate future. Its re-opening will be determined as new details come to light.

Read or Share this story: