LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

NEWPORT NEWS -- Newport News fire officials are warning residents to stay in the kitchen while cooking after a fire displaced two people Thursday morning.

Officials say a fire in the 800 block of 20th Street was caused by unattended cooking.

The damage is estimated at $25,000 and the home was condemned.

Nobody was injured in the fire.

Red Cross provided the family with food, clothing and lodging.

Fire officials offered the following warning:
Watch what you heat! The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking. If you have to leave, turn off your cooking. Never leave the stove unattended while the burners are on.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/10/14861134/