NEWPORT NEWS -- Crews responded to a house fire in the 400 block of Wyn Drive in Newport News Tuesday evening.

Fire crews found heavy smoke coming from the garage upon arrival at 6:22 p.m.

The fire was quickly put under control by 6:27 p.m.

Officials determined that a lightning strike caused a fire in an electrical box.

No injuries were reported.

The Red Cross is providing assistance for one adult and four children.

'Our teams are supporting the immediate needs and providing emotional assistance to the family during this difficult time,' said Eastern Virginia Red Cross Spokesperson, Jonathan McNamara. 'Our volunteers will work with the family over the coming days to ensure they have access to support and community resources to help them start the recovery process.'

The home had working smoke detectors at the time of the fire.

Read or Share this story: