LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

HAMPTON -- Fire that destroyed a home in Hampton early last Wednesday was caused by an overloaded electrical outlet, investigators said Thursday.

Firefighters were called to Aspenwood Drive around 2:10 a.m. and found flames and smoke pouring from the home.

Firefighters say one of two men who lived in the home woke up when he smelled smoke. He went to investigate but didn't see anything and went back to bed. Then his smoke detector went off.

'He walked outside and did an exterior walk around the house and saw flames coming from the eaves,' said Capt. Maurice Wilson with the Hampton Fire Dept.

Investigators told WVEC.com that one of the family dogs that had been missing was found dead in the rubble.

The fire was out by 2:42 a.m., Wilson added.

The Red Cross is helping the resident.

Any Hampton resident can get a smoke alarm and/or a free home safety survey by calling 727-1210.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wvec.com/story/news/2014/09/05/14741756/