FORT WORTH, TX -- A 34-year-old Fort Worth man is suspected of being one of possibly two shooters in Monday morning's attack at the Washington Navy Yard that left 13 people dead, D.C. police said.

Aaron Alexis was among the 13 killed. A senior law enforcement official said authorities identified the dead gunman through his fingerprints. Police also hunted for a second possible attacker who may have been disguised in a military-style uniform.

Alexis' former roommate Oui Sathamtewakul told WFAA that he last worked at the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in Fort Worth. The Navy confirmed that Alexis served as a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011. He left the Navy on January 31, 2011 as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the Fleet Logistics Support Squadron No. 46 in Fort Worth. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Sathamtewakul said Alexis frequently returned home to Fort Worth following travels to other states, like Washington and South Carolina.

The roommate said Alexis was a contractor, and suspected that was why he was in Washington D.C. Sathamtewakul said he was 'shocked' at the allegations; Alexis was a practicing Buddhist and never showed any signs of aggression toward him.

Sathamtewakul said he knew Alexis had a concealed handgun license and that he owned a gun.

Alexis was arrested on September 4, 2010 at his apartment at 2450 Oak Hill Circle when a gun went off in his hands, sending a bullet through the apartment of an upstairs neighbor, public records show.

He told investigators he was cleaning the gun and it went off. The neighbor whose apartment the bullet went through told police that Alexis 'terrified' her and that he confronted her multiple times because of how loud she was in her unit.

The Tarrant County District Attorney's Office issued a statement saying it did not seek to charge Alexis with the crime, a Class A misdemeanor.

'After reviewing the facts presented by the police department, it was determined that the elements constituting recklesness under Texas law were not present and a case was not filed,' the statement said.

Read or Share this story: