SUFFOLK, VA -- An early morning fire in Suffolk resulted in an elderly man being taken to the hoospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

According to a news release, firefighters attached to Engines 2 and 3, Ladder 6, Rescue 1 and 6, Battalion 1 and Medic 3 responded to the fire at 5:40 a.m. in the 2600 block of Riddick Drive in the downtown area, and upon arrival seven minutes later, found moderate smoke coming from the structure. The fire, which was confined to the bathroom, was quickly brought under control

The fire was determined to have been caused by a space heater which sparked the fire in an overloaded outlet in the bathroom.

The elderly male resident was transported to Sentara Obici Hospital for treatment. No firefighters were injured.

Read or Share this story: