JAMES CITY COUNTY -- 27-year-old Joshua Wayne Snider remained in the hospital Saturday night, following a long series of events including the alleged strangulation of his ex-girlfriend.

Police said a 31-year-old woman got home from work Friday night and found Snider outside her apartment, located in the 4000 block of Midlands Road. The woman said her ex-boyfriend confronted her in the parking lot, followed her, then pulled her into her apartment where he started arguing with her.

Officers noted there were signs Snider already had been in the home before the 31-year-old got home. (The television was on. Snider's jacket was on the couch. There was a strip of duct tape hanging on the wall.)

For 40 minutes, Snider supposedly held the woman against her will, putting duct tape over her mouth several times. His ex-girlfriend tried to use her cell phone to text for help, but she said Snider took the phone from her. She told police he pushed her onto the floor and strangled her.

At one point, the woman tried to escape, but Snider allegedly blocked the front door. At that point, she explained she pushed him out of the home and locked the door, but he ran around back and entered the apartment through a sliding glass door.

James City County police said Snider pulled the 31-year-old towards his pick-up truck in the parking lot. She punched him in the head and screamed. The woman ran to a neighbor's house for help. Snider left in the pick-up truck.

The 31-year-old went to Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center. She was treated and released.

Saturday morning, an off-duty officer spotted Snider's pick-up truck in the Croaker Commuter Lot off of Interstate 64. Officers tried to stop Snider, but they said he drove off. Virginia State Police, New Kent County Sheriff's Office, and the Henrico County Police Department joined the effort to catch Snider.

Police put down spike strips, which deflated a tire on the truck, allowing them to stop Snider.

Officers said Snider had a self-inflicted stab wound and cuts to his arms. They took him into custody. He went to Medical College of Virginia where he underwent surgery for his injuries.

Late Saturday, he remained hospitalized in custody without bond.

Police told 13News Now they recovered a bag from the victim's apartment that Snider brought with him. It contained rope, belts, sex toys, duct tape, and sleeping pills.

Snider, who lives in Lyndhurst, Virginia, faces charges of Abduction, Strangulation, Breaking & Entering with Intent to Commit Assault, Grand Larceny, and Assault & Battery.

Read or Share this story: