UPDATE 12/30: A Christmas tree that was too close to a wall-mounted propane heater caught fire causing the blaze, officials said Monday.


UPDATE: Authorities confirm one person died in the fire. The medical examiner's office will have to identify the victim.

Authorities say a woman who lived in the house was elderly.


JAMES CITY COUNTY -- Firefighters are battling smoke and flames at a home in James City County.

The fire was spotted by a police officer who reported heavy smoke and flames coming from the back of the two-story home on Maxton Lane, Battalion Chief Bob Ryalls told

As of 10:15 a.m., Maxton Lane at Croaker Road was closed in part because firefighters had to pull lines to get to the water supply.

'There's no hydrant close by, so we have a 5' hose to get the water to the home,' he added.

There were no early reports of injuries; however, Ryalls told one person is unaccounted for.

It's too early to know what sparked the fire.

Read or Share this story: