NORFOLK, Va. — Festevents announced it has postponed its outdoor events in Town Point Park called the Thank Goodness We're Open (TGWO) series.
The City of Norfolk and Festevents made the decision to postpone the events "out of an abundance of caution considering another record day of positive COVID-19 new cases in the city."
"The City of Norfolk, Festevents and the Norfolk Department of Health will continue to work together to ensure the health and safety of the community and make decisions regarding future TGWO and neighborhood outdoor movie events," according to a news release.
Visit www.festevents.org for updates.
Southern Auto Group will put on happy hour concerts, target golf games, and movie nights in the Norfolk park every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from July 23 through August.
The free events will offer food and beverage trucks, but there will be some rules to keep people safe. Guests need to wear masks at all times they're not eating or drinking, keep six feet apart from other guests and avoid gathering around food trucks or stages.
Organizers said if you have a fever, feel sick or have been exposed to the virus in the last two weeks, don't come to the event. Attendance will be capped according to state outdoor gathering guidelines, which is 1,000 people for Phase 3.
Festevents announced this series as they postponed other events, like the Big Bands on the Bay concert series, until 2021, to prevent the possible spread of the new coronavirus.
The company's CEO, Karen Scherberger, urged people to enjoy the available events safely.
“We are excited to be open again and to bring great outdoor entertainment to our community,” she wrote. “However, the success and our ability to continue these and other events will depend on how well our patrons follow the important safety guidelines that everyone should be aware of by now.”
Health officials recommend washing your hands often, keeping a distance of six feet between people who don't live in the same household, even when outside, and wearing face masks over your nose and mouth when inside (or when social distancing is not possible outside).
Events postponed until 2021
- Norfolk Latino Music Festival* (originally scheduled for July 25) (*postponed until a later date in 2020)
- Virginia Symphony Orchestra in the Park (July 26)
- Norfolk Waterfront Jazz Festival (August 21 & 22)
- Norfolk In-Water Boat Show (September 18-20)
- Ocean View Beach Park Big Bands on the Bay Series
- Ocean View Beach Park TGOV Friday Night Series
- Thursdays, from 5 to 8 p.m., Happy Hour Concerts
- Fridays, from 5 to 8 p.m., Chip & Sip, target golf and happy hour
- Saturdays, from 8 to 11 p.m., Family Outdoor Movie Nights
- Weekend of August 21, Jazz Festival with local artists
Guests are invited to bring chairs, blankets, food and non-alcoholic drinks. Pets are not allowed at the TGWO series events.