YORKTOWN, Va. — The Peninsula Health District is alerting residents in the area of Winders Lane and Lakeside Drive in Yorktown that a raccoon has tested positive for the rabies virus.
The raccoon attacked a dog on private property in that neighborhood.
If you or your pet might have had any exposure to this animal such as a bite or scratch, you're asked to call the Peninsula Health District at 757-594-7340. After hours, please call York County Animal Control at 757-890-3601.
The rabies virus is deadly and residents are reminded to keep their pets up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations.
Officials suggest to reduce the risk of rabies exposure, pet owners should:
- Be sure dogs and cats are up-to-date on vaccinations.
- Keep pets confined to home and yard.
- Keep yards free of food that could attract wild animals.
- Do not handle, touch or take in stray or wild animals.
- Warn adults and children to report any animal bites or scratches.