VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Friday is last day the Salvation Army is accepting donations as part of its Angel Tree campaign. The program allows community members to shop for clothing for a child registered with the Salvation Army.
“It’s a huge program because it gives the children something warm and fuzzy on Christmas day,” said Salvation Army Major James Allison.
The program helps more than 5,000 families across Hampton Roads.
Volunteer Merlin Kary has donated his time to the Salvation Army for nine years. He spends his days at the Christmas Depot, getting donation boxes ready for families in time for the holidays.
“It has the child’s name, we put the gift in there, then we put a checkmark so we know every child has a gift in it,” said Kary.
When asked why Kary spends his days volunteering, he said it’s all about the smiles he imagines on children’s faces.
“Gosh, I’d love to see their faces on Christmas when they open these gifts and when they see this,” said Kary as he fought back tears.
Here are the locations where you can find an Angel Tree:
Haynes Furniture / The Dump
- Dillards at Greenbrier Mall -- 1401 Greenbrier Pkwy.
- Sears at Greenbrier Mall -- 1401 Greenbrier Pkwy.
- Off the Hook Seafood -- 500 Battlefield Blvd. South
- Walmart 1841 -- 1521 Sam's Cir.
- Chick-fil-A -- 1205 North Military Hwy.
- JANAF Management Offices -- 5900 East Virginia Beach Blvd.
- MacArthur Center Mall -- 300 Monticello Ave.
- Walmart 1811 -- 1170 North Military Hwy.
- Walmart 5488 -- 7530 Tidewater Dr.
- Haynes Furniture/The Dump -- 5324 Virginia Blvd.
- Lynnhaven Mall -- 701 Lynnhaven Pkwy.
- Pembroke Mall -- 4554 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Sam's Club -- 3345 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Walmart -- 4821 Virginia Beach Blvd.
- Walmart -- 1149 Nimmo Pkwy.
If you would like to make last-minute donations, gifts can also be dropped off at the Salvation Army’s Christmas Depot located on 1205 Fordham Drive in Virginia Beach. The hours are Saturday from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. and next week M-F, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You can visit The Salvation Army's website for more information or call (757) 543-8100, extension 64249.