NORFOLK, Va. — United Way of South Hampton Roads will invest over $12 million into the community in 2019.
The opportunity to give back to the community was made possible through donor designations, program funding, and grants. This significant investment represents the United Way plays in the community of bringing people and resources together to solve problems too big for anyone to solve alone.
Over $5.5 million is given to nonprofits through designated donations raised in the United Way workplace campaign. Over 700 local businesses participated in the campaign.
Nearly $3.1 million is given to community agencies and programs that align with UWSHR’s two collective impact initiatives: Mission United, which serves veterans, and United for Children, which serves kids.
On top of that, the United Way of South Hampton Roads had over $3.7 million in grants have been awarded to 39 nonprofit organizations representing 70 community programs.
The following nonprofits will receive grant funding this year:
- An Achievable Dream
- Armed Services YMCA of Hampton Roads
- Boy Scouts of America Tidewater Council
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Southeast Virginia
- Catholic Charities of Eastern Virginia
- Children's Harbor
- CHIP of South Hampton Roads
- Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia
- ForKids, Inc.
- Friends of the Portsmouth Juvenile Court
- Girl Scouts of the Colonial Coast
- Girls on the Run Hampton Roads • HER Shelter
- Ida Barbour Early Learning Center
- Isle of Wight Christian Outreach Program
- Jewish Family Service
- Judeo Christian Outreach Center
- Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia
- Luter Family YMCA
- Samaritan House
- Senior Services of Southeastern Virginia
- Seton Youth Shelters
- Southside Boys & Girls Club
- The Children's Center
- The Salvation Army Hampton Roads
- The Salvation Army Portsmouth
- The Salvation Army Suffolk
- The Up Center
- United Jewish Federation of Tidewater
- Urban League of Hampton Roads
- Virginia Supportive Housing
- Western Tidewater Free Clinic
- YMCA of South Hampton Roads
- Young Audiences Arts for Learning Virginia
- YWCA South Hampton Roads
For more information about United Way of South Hampton Roads and the programs it supports, click here.