Breaking News
More () »

Suspect in Newport News standoff with police identified and charged

Newport News police said he's 30-year-old Rakie Ramon Singleton, with no known address. He's in Newport News City Jail.

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — UPDATE: Newport News Police have identified the man who barricaded himself in a home for 12 hours and fired several shots. They said he's 30-year-old Rakie Ramon Singleton, with no known address.

Singleton was taken into custody Friday after barricading himself in an apartment on Turlington Road for more than 12 hours after the shooting was reported in the 400 block of Turlington Road, which is right off Warwick Boulevard.

After 10 p.m. Thursday, police found a man at that location suffering from a gunshot wound. He was taken to a hospital and his injuries don't appear to be life-threatening. 

The police department had said a possible suspect was barricaded inside an apartment at Newport Commons and the tactical unit was mobilized.

“Scary... it’s still scary with the drones going on top of our heads,” said Crystal, a resident of the apartment complex.

She said the scene kept her up Thursday night.

“It was lights," she said. "It was guns. It was officers everywhere.”

Crystal said throughout the night, police told residents to stay back.

“We can’t be outside," she said. "We have to go in the house. It’s a standoff right now.”

As the sun came up, multiple agencies including Virginia State Police arrived at the scene. At times, you could hear a negotiator talking to the suspect and commanding him to step outside.

A police spokeswoman said the suspect fired in the direction of investigators, but officers did not fire back. She also said negotiators communicated with him verbally and through a PA system.

Singleton is charged with one count each: malicious wounding; use or display firearm in commission of a felony; discharging a firearm within or at a building or dwelling house; willfully discharging a firearm in a public place; reckless handling of a firearm; possession of a firearm by a convicted felon; destruction of property; brandishing a firearm; shooting in, at, or across a road or street; and 16 counts attempted malicious wounding.

The spokesperson said he was turned over to the custody of the Newport News City Jail Friday evening, without bond.

If you know anything that might help investigators, you can call the Crime Line at 1-888-562-5887. You can also submit a tip online at P3Tips.com. Tipsters remain anonymous and can be eligible for a cash reward.

Before You Leave, Check This Out