GREENSBORO, N.C. — North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper has signed nine bills into law including a bonus for teachers and school employees.
Bill 818: Compensation for Certain School Employees will allocate a one-time $350 payment to teachers and school employees.
Governor Roy Cooper said, “I signed this bill because it funds step increases for teachers that have already been promised, but it falls outrageously short on raises we need to give teachers and all school personnel like bus drivers and cafeteria workers. The Legislature must make educator pay a top priority when they come back in September."
Teachers were supposed to get a raise in the new state budget but that hasn't happened yet. So, instead of an across the board pay raise for all educators, under Senate Bill 818, they will get a one-time bonus.
Governor Cooper signed the other following bills into law:
- Senate Bill 811: Connect NC Park Facilities Operating Reserves
- Senate Bill 812: Agricultural Sciences Center Funds
- Senate Bill 814: NC Promise Tuition Plan Funds
- House Bill 679: Rules of Civ Procedure/ E-Filing and Service
- House Bill 511: North Carolina First Step Act
- House Bill 1218: Salary Related Contribution/Debt Service Funds
- House Bill 307: Mod. Utility Vehicle Classification
- Senate Bill 719: Retirement Tech./Protect/ & Other Changes
- Senate Bill 818: Compensation for Certain School Employees
Stay connected to local, national and breaking news: Download the new WFMY News 2 app.
►Text the keyword APP to 336-379-5775
►For the latest weather conditions and forecast text the keyword WEATHER to 336-379-5775
►For local news stories right to your phone text the keyword NEWS to 336-379-5775
►Need our Call for Action Team? Text keyword CFA to 336-379-5775
►For traffic alerts text the word TRAFFIC to 336-379-5775