VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Sentara Healthcare said it would begin offering drive-thru screening and testing for COVID-19 Monday, March 16 at three of its facilities in Hampton Roads.
The locations were:
- Sentara Princess Anne Hospital, 2025 Glenn Mitchell Drive, Virginia Beach
- Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center, 100 Sentara Circle, Williamsburg
- Sentara Edinburgh, 1933 Edwin Drive, Chesapeake
The time for each location Monday was 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Sentara said on Tuesday, March 17, it would begin offering the screening from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week. It expected to offer more locations in the near future.
The health care system provides information for people that covered what they would need to know before they went to a site and what they could expect once they got there.
Before You Head to a Testing Site
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Do you have 2 of the 3 symptoms below?
- Fever (100.4 degrees or higher)
- Shortness of breath
2. In the last month, have you been in contact with someone who was confirmed or suspected to have COVID-19 OR have you traveled internationally or to an area with a known COVID-19 outbreak? (Check the latest high-risk travel areas here.)
If you answered NO to one or both questions:
- Stay home. Continue to follow the CDC recommended prevention methods and monitor for a change in symptoms.
IF you answered YES to both questions:
- If you are below age 60 and have no other health issues, you should stay home and self-quarantine for 14 days. If you have to be out in the community or if your symptoms worsen, come to one of the drive-thru locations to be screened.
If you are over age 60, come to one of our drive-thru screening locations.
When You Arrive
- STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE.
- Follow the “COVID-19 Screening Location” signs and drive up to the screening tent.
- Step 1: A clinician will ask you a series of questions.
- Then, based on your answers, you will be sent home or continue to Step 2.
- Step 2: You will be screened by a healthcare provider. They will determine if you need testing.
- Then, based on your screening, you will be sent home or continue to Step 3.
- Step 3: You will be tested using a nasal or an oral swab. NOTE: If you receive a swab, education will be provided to protect yourself and others.
If You Are Tested
- You will provide your personal information and receive a phone call once your test results are known.
- If you are already a Sentara patient, your results also will be added to your Sentara MyChart or Sentara Account.
- Be patient. At this time, it can take up to 5 days to receive test results.
After You Are Tested
You will be asked to self-quarantine until Sentara receives your results.
If your symptoms require additional medical care, you will be directed to available services.
In addition to establishing drive-thru sites, Sentara set up a call center that began serving the community at 9 a.m. on March 16.
The number is 1.833.945.2395.
The Sentara COVID-19 Call Center operates seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
It is able to:
- Direct callers to appropriate resources based on nurses' evaluations
- Answer questions about signs and symptoms based on current CDC guidelines
- Provide information on Sentara policies and our COVID-19 response
The call center will not schedule appointments, provide testing recommendations, or provide test results.