CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services is partnering with multiple organizations to provide COVID-19 vaccination opportunities ahead of Wednesday's Mexico vs. Ecuador soccer match at Bank of America Stadium.
Ahead of the game, NCDHHS said it will host a mobile, on-site COVID-19 vaccine unit at AT&T Fútbol Fiesta at Romare Bearden Park. Vaccines will be available from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines will all be available, in addition to booster shots for those eligible.
NCDHHS said bilingual medical professionals will be on-site to answer any questions.
Mecklenburg County Public Health's Autumn Watson said this will make COVID-19 vaccine information easily accessible
“We've run across that instance a lot where individuals don't necessarily go seek out the information, but when the opportunities are presented to them and they have an opportunity to ask questions, they do make the decision to get the vaccination," Watson said.
In addition to the vaccine unit, there will be a pre-game tailgate from 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. at parking lot 3 hosted by the North Carolina chapter of Pancho Villa’s Army, fan giveaways, a fan meet-and-greet with former Mexico World Cup defender and team captain, Claudio Suarez, known as "El Emperador," and more.
"We’ve made great progress in getting vaccines to Hispanic and Latinx communities across North Carolina, but we still have more work to do to ensure everyone is protected from the serious illness and complications that can result from COVID-19 infection," NCDHHS Secretary Mandy Cohen said. "As a big soccer fan, I am particularly excited about this partnership where we can work together to share accurate information about the vaccines and keep people healthy."
The soccer match begins at 8:30 p.m.
These roads will be closed for the MexTour soccer game in Charlotte
- Stonewall Street between Church Street and College Street will have one lane closed in each direction
- West 1st Street between South Mint Street and South Church Street
- West Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd between South Mint Street and South Church Street
- Graham Street and Stonewall Street between Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and Church Street
- South Mint Street between Carson Boulevard and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
- Graham Street between West Trade Street and West Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. will have one southbound lane closed
- Levine Avenue of the Arts between South Church Street and South Tryon Street
- Morehead Street between South Tryon Street and Interstate 77 will have one westbound lane closed
- South Mint Street between West Trade Street and West Martin Luter King Jr. Blvd will have one northbound lane closed
- South Mint Street between West Stonewall Street and West Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
- South Mint Street between Carson Boulevard and Morehead Street
Wake Up Charlotte To Go is a daily news and weather podcast you can listen to so you can start your day with the team at Wake Up Charlotte.
SUBSCRIBE: Apple Podcasts || Spotify || Stitcher || TuneIn || Google Podcasts
All of WCNC Charlotte's podcasts are free and available for both streaming and download. You can listen now on Android, iPhone, Amazon, and other internet-connected devices. Join us from North Carolina, South Carolina, or on the go anywhere.