VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- Troopster Donations, a local charity, is collecting donations for care packages to send to the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62).
The USS Fitzgerald crew lost several of their shipmates after the Burke-class destroyer collided with a large cargo ship off the coast of Japan.
About 300 people were aboard the ship at the time of the collision. Seven sailors died.
Donations bins are located at various places around the city. The group is asking for non-perishables, snack items, cards, letters, toys, and other items to send in support of the sailors aboard the USS Fitzgerald.
The Troopster's goal is to support the sailors with supplies that may have been lost during that collision.
Donations will be accepted until June 24, when the care packages will be put together. People are welcome to join in the creation of the packages, between noon and 2 p.m. at 1701 Baltic Avenue.
Donation boxes can be found at the following locations:
- 1701VB, 1701 Baltic Avenue, Oceanfront
- Tastebuds Popcorn, 1255 Fordham Drive Virginia Beach
- Creative Wedge, 630 Hilltop West Shopping Ctr, Virginia Beach
- Buzz Franchise, 2829 Guardian Ln, Set 100 Virginia Beach (Lynnhaven Mall Area)
- Beskin Insurance, 300 Southport Circle, Virginia Beach
- Jody’s Popcorn, 205 Laskin Rd, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
- Beef Jerky Outlet Virginia Beach, 301 25th Street, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
- Top Golf, 5444 Greenwich Rd, Virginia Beach
Troopster was founded by Active Duty U.S. Navy Sailor Chelsea Mandello. Since it's creation in 2015, they have sent more than 1,024 care packages overseas.