x
Breaking News
More (0) »

Norfolk's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Norfolk, Virginia | 13NEWSNOW.com

No one hurt after chimney fire breaks out at Chesapeake home

Smoke and flames had begun to extend into the house from the fireplace. The residents helped put it out with their fire extinguisher.
Credit: bildfokus, Thinkstock

CHESAPEAKE, Va. — Officials say a Chesapeake family will be able to stay in their home after a fire broke out inside their chimney on Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called out to the 1400 block of Goodman Street just after 5 a.m. following a 911 call. Arriving crews didn't find any visible fire, as the residents were able to knock the fire down with an extinguisher.

Based on a preliminary investigation, the fire became caught in the chimney, with smoke and flames beginning to extend into the house. Firefighters thoroughly searched the structure and made sure the fire was brought under control.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.