NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — The four Newport News students who were self-monitoring at home for coronavirus have returned to school with a release note from the Virginia Department of Health, a Newport News Public Schools official said.
The students' self-monitoring quarantine began sometime before Feb. 9. They returned to school last week.
"The Virginia Department of Health, in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control, monitored the students and their families during their home stay," said Michelle Price, a spokeswoman for Newport News Public Schools.
"All of the students returned to school last week with a release note from the Virginia Department of Health. None of them ever presented any symptoms."
The four students visited extended family on a trip to China and came back in the beginning of February.
They did not travel to Wuhan where the coronavirus was first detected, Price said.
They were cleared in a screening at one of the CDC quarantine stations in China to return to the United States, Price said.
The four students went to school for one day when they returned, however, health officials said they had to self-monitor at home for 14 days.
The 14-day monitoring schedule is mandatory under the CDC's new rules.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a set of guidelines health officials must follow when assessing coronavirus.
The Newport News schools alerted were: Denbigh, Woodside, and Warwick high schools.
There are currently two people under investigation in Virginia, the latest in Northern Virginia and one in the Southwest region, according to recent data from the Virginia Department of Health. Six other cases have come back negative.