NORFOLK, Va. — A 16-year-old student was arrested and charged after a fight broke out at Norfolk's Norview High School this week. Several other students were detained.

On Tuesday, over a dozen police cars and SUVs were at the high school after two fights broke out, and the school was put on lockdown.

Norfolk Police Department's spokesperson, Daniel Hudson, said a male who “started the fight” was arrested and charged with assault and battery and disorderly conduct. He also said several other students were “detained for their involvement in the aftermath,” but he said the school is going to handle those students administratively. 

During the fight, a school security officer inadvertently sprayed the principal, Walter Brower, Jr., with pepper spray in the midst of it all.

Police said no one was hurt during the incident.

Norfolk Public Schools released the following statement Tuesday:

"Late this morning, Norview High School went on a brief lockdown due to multiple altercations that occurred in the cafeteria. The first incident happened at approximately 11:00 a.m., subsequent incidents followed during the next lunch period. The situation was quickly contained within 20 minutes as a result of the coordinated efforts of school administration, security personnel and the Norfolk Police Department.

Classes and activities have resumed, however security measures remain in place.  The principal will make calls to parents and guardians this afternoon.  An increased police presence will be observed throughout dismissal today to ensure the safety and security of all students and staff.  Students involved in any of today’s altercations will be subject to appropriate disciplinary action.  Norfolk Public Schools is thankful for the swift response and support of our staff, security personnel and local law enforcement.  We are also proud of the entire student body at Norview High for their commendable behavior and cooperation throughout the day."

RELATED: Parents react after brawls break out at Norview High School, principal pepper-sprayed; Norfolk police help with fights

Hudson said the Norfolk Police Department has had extra police presence inside the school since the fight, and there’s no time set for when that will return to normal.