VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WVEC) -- A high-speed chase wound its way from the Eastern Shore all the way to the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel on Friday.

Police scanner traffic indicated speeds at times reached more than 100 miles per hour.

The chase, involving a silver Mercedes SUV and multiple police agencies, began in Northampton County and made its way across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel at the start of the Friday afternoon rush hour.

Northampton Sheriff David Doughty told 13News Now that the Cheriton Police Department tried to pull over the SUV for "reckless driving by speed." The SUV was reportedly going 87 miles per hour.

Cheriton Police called the Northampton County Sheriff's Office for assistance around 2:40, and deputies joined the pursuit.

The SUV reached speeds of more than 100 miles per hour before reaching the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Deputies laid down spike strips in front of the bridge, but the SUV was able to drive around them.

The Eastern Shore authorities stopped their pursuit about halfway across the CBBT due to safety concerns for other vehicles. Virginia Beach Police were notified of the pursuit, and officers were waiting when the SUV reached their side of the bridge-tunnel.

The chase continued into Virginia Beach and continued on to Interstate 64.

VDOT traffic network cameras captured cars moving onto the shoulder, out of the way as the suspect barreled toward them.

Virginia State Police stopped traffic from entering the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel -- leaving the shoulder open for the suspect to pass -- and laid down what appeared to be spike strips in an attempt to stop the vehicle.

Traffic stopped on the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel during a police chase on Friday afternoon. Photo courtesy Carlos Mercado

The chase finally came to an end somewhere inside the tunnel. According to police, the vehicle crashed in the tunnel. The driver was taken into custody and has been charged with several violations including two attempts of Malicious Wounding, Felony Eluding, Reckless driving, Driving without a license and various registration violations with possibly more pending charges.

The tunnel reopened to traffic shortly after 4 p.m., although a six-mile backup remained.

No other information, including what may have started the police chase, is available at this time.