POQUOSON, Va. (WVEC) -- Police in Poquoson are warning everyone to lock their cars.
Chief Clifford Bowen says someone stole items from more than a dozen cars Sunday morning along Little Florida Road and Odd Road.
According to police, all 13 cars had something in common. They were all unlocked.
Skip Youngk lives off Little Florida Road. He says there's never too much to worry about living in Poquoson, so the news is quite surprising.
“It is shocking,” Youngk says. “All the neighbors know each other and it's a small town community, so many times we go to sleep and don't remember to lock the doors, leave our cars unlocked.”
It’s not just cars thieves are targeting.
Police say thieves broke into homes and garages back on November 21st, stealing tools, lawn equipment, and other similar items.
Youngk says neighbors are on alert.
“When we hear about break-ins we just take extra precautions,” Youngk says. “Some neighbors took precaution and got security systems, put cameras up to make sure everyone is safe on the street and in Poquoson.”
Poquoson Police offer these tips to protect your property.
- Please keep your vehicle doors locked at night, even when the cars are parked in a driveway.
- Protect your valuables by removing them from your vehicles at night and securing them inside of your homes.
- Keep exterior lights on around your home at night to discourage criminals from targeting your property.
- Keep all garages and exterior buildings locked at night and refrain from leaving valuable tools and equipment outside in plain view.
- Report any suspicious activity to the police by immediately dialing 911 when you observe it. In this way, residents can best assist police in preventing additional Larcenies and minimize their own chances of becoming a victim of this type of crime.
If you have any questions regarding these thefts or information to report on any other unsolved crime in Poquoson, please call the police department at 868-3501 or the crime line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.