As Hurricane Florence continues on its path towards the East Coast, schools are taking the precaution to close in order to protect staff and students.
North Carolina Closing:
- Camden County Schools: Closed Wednesday, Sept. 12 for students and an optional work-day for staff; Closed Thursday, Sept. 13 and Friday Sept. 14 for students and staff.
- Cape Henry Collegiate: Closed Tuesday, but offices will be open.
- College of the Albemarle: All campuses closed Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Friday, Sept. 14.
- Currituck County Schools: Closed for students Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Friday, Sept. 14. Staff members have optional workdays Tuesday and Wednesday. All custodians and maintenance personnel should report on Tuesday.
- Dare County Schools: Closed for all students and staff on Tuesday, Sept. 11 through the remainder of the week.
- Elizabeth City State University: All classes closed beginning at noon on Tuesday, Sept. 11. Residence halls will close at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 12. Any student who cannot leave before Wednesday evening is required to report to the Vaughan Center. Students are not allowed to remain in the residence halls after they close.
- Elizabeth City-Pasquotank Public Schools: Closed for Students Wednesday, Sept. 12 through Friday, Sept. 14.
- Mid-Atlantic Christian University: Early dismissal at 12 p.m. on Tuesday. The school will be closed on Wednesday starting at 10 a.m. The school will reopen on Monday.
- Northeast Academy for Aerospace and Advanced Technologies: Closed Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 12:30 p.m. through Friday.
- Atlantic Shores Christian School: Closed Wednesday Sept. 12 through Friday Sept. 14.
- Chesapeake Public Schools: Closed for all students and staff starting Tuesday, Sept. 11 until further notice.
- Christopher Newport University: The university will be closed from Wednesday, Sept. 12 through at least Sunday, Sept. 16 at noon, all classes are canceled during that time.
- Gloucester County Public Schools: Closed Tuesday until further notice.
- Hampton City Schools: Closed for all students until further notice. HCS staff living in flood Zone A are not required to report to work tomorrow. All other staff is expected to report on time for a modified schedule.
- Isle of Wight County Schools: closed Wednesday, Sept. 12 through Friday, Sept. 14.
- Old Dominion University: Closed from Tuesday to Sunday, and the campus will be evacuated on Tuesday.
- New Horizons Regional Education: Closed for students on Tuesday, Sept. 11, but all staff should report.
- Newport News Public Schools: Reopening Monday, Sept. 17; all activities scheduled for Sept. 14 through Sept. 16 remain canceled.
- Norfolk Public School: Resume normal operating status on Monday, Sept. 17. Refer to the 2018-2019 Academic Calendar for make-up information.
- Norfolk Collegiate School: Closed until further notice.
- Northampton County Public School: Closed until further notice.
- Portsmouth Public Schools: Closed until further notice
- Saint Leo University: The below Virginia locations are closed from Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Saturday, Sept. 15 unless otherwise noted.
- Chesapeake Education Center
- Fort Eustis Education Center
- Fort Lee Education Center - classes canceled Friday and Saturday
- Langley Education Office
- Newport News Education Center
- South Hampton Roads Education Center at JEB-Little Creek
- Norfolk Education Office
- Oceana Education Office
- Suffolk Public Schools: Closed Wednesday, Sept. 12 until further notice.
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools: All schools and administrative offices will be open and return to normal operations Monday, Sept. 17. Monday will be a 'B day' schedule.
- Virginia Wesleyan University: All classed canceled on Thursday, Sept. 13, Friday, Sept. 14, and Saturday, Sept. 15.
- York County School Division: Closed on Tuesday, Sept. 10 until further notice.
For a full list of closures, click here.