Breaking News
More () »

Richmond woman found killed in York Co. was 'beat out of gang' before she died, court documents say

Ty'osha Mitchell's family described her as a kind-hearted person. Now, new court records share more about what happened to the mother of two.

YORKTOWN, Va. — WARNING: details may be disturbing to some readers

It's a murder investigation spanning from Richmond to Hampton Roads.

Ty'osha Mitchell, 25, was found on the side of Old Williamsburg Road in Yorktown on the morning of May 6 after investigators say a group of people shot her several times there.

RELATED: 'She was my baby': Family of Richmond woman found dead in Yorktown searching for answers

Detectives arrested Jayquan Jones, Jamica Langley, Hezekiah Carney, and Acacia Jackson on second-degree murder and conspiracy charges.

Now, new court documents are detailing more about the hours leading up to her death. 

In the latest arrest warrants, detectives said text messages between Mitchell and the four suspects revealed the group as the "Vietnam Baby Gorilla" gang of the "Mad Stone Bloods" gang tied to Norfolk. They said the messages led them to determine Mitchell as the "highest ranking female gang member" with "significant gang ties."

Detectives said they interviewed a man who police identified as Mitchell's boyfriend. He told investigators he got a call from Mitchell late Saturday night into Sunday morning on May 6 about three women and a man who came to her Richmond apartment.

There, he said the three women started, "beating her out of the gang," meaning she is no longer a member of the group. 

The boyfriend told detectives that the "beat out" was supposed to happen on May 4, but "was rescheduled to May 6 due to the offenders having a flat tire."

When he arrived at her place that night, he said the people were leaving, but by the time he got upstairs to Mitchell, the three women and two men (one of the men said to be the same person from the original assault) were banging on the front door. Investigators said the second man was believed to be Hezekiah Carney.

He said Mitchell let them inside and he believed one of the men had a gun. He said that's when they started assaulting Mitchell again and he said it appeared as if they were going to start assaulting him as well.

The boyfriend told investigators he ran upstairs, locked the door, and escaped out the window to get away. He said he came back just a few minutes later and called 911. He told dispatchers the group left with Mitchell in a black Hyundai Sonata. 

In the court documents, detectives say the boyfriend told them it's possible the assault started over "jealousy between Mitchell's relationship with one of the female offenders' intimate partner, but could not advise any knowledge of the supposed relationship."

Using eyewitness testimony and surveillance footage, detectives tracked down the car reportedly used to drive Mitchell to York County. They tracked it to a gas station in Newport News where they saw two people exit the car and walk into the 7-Eleven. They later identified those two people as Jayquan Jones and Jamica Langley. 

They also said they followed security footage to find the car driving in the direction where Mitchell was found dead.

The morning of May 7 is when detectives said Norfolk police officers came in contact with the same vehicle where they found three women in the car, one of whom York County investigators identified as one of the women who had communicated with Mitchell a few hours before the assault.

The three women in the car were the two women arrested, Acacia Jackson and Jamica Langley, along with a third woman who was the owner of the vehicle, according to police. 

Jones, Langley, Carney, and Jackson are all scheduled for their preliminary hearings in York County Court on September 12.

York County investigators say more charges could come forward in this case

Before You Leave, Check This Out