McDonald's is bringing back its Szechuan sauce after the animated television show Rick and Morty made the promotional sauce an Internet phenomenon.
The catch? It's for one day only.
The fast food chain will make the discontinued sauce available at select locations on Oct. 7 at 2 p.m.
McDonald's Szechuan sauce became a topic of conversation in April, after it was highlighted in a surprise episode of Adult Swim's Rick and Morty. In the show, interdimensional-hopping scientist Rick Sanchez admitted that his sole motivation in life is "finding that McNugget sauce" once again.
"Nine more seasons until I get that dipping Szechuan sauce, or 97 more years, Morty!" Sanchez said, foaming at the mouth.
Though the sauce in question hasn't been available at McDonald's since it was a promotional item for the animated Disney film Mulan, Rick and Morty fans petitioned for the sauce to come back, watching tutorials about how to make it and tweeting at McDonald's to consider adding the dip back to the menu.
These are the two local McDonald's that will have the dipping packets:
- 2097 GENERAL BOOTH BLVD in Virginia Beach
- 2328 E PRINCESS ANNE RD in Norfolk
The sauce is extremely limited and are served on a first come, first serve basis.
Customers will also have the chance to receive their favorite limited-edition sauce poster, including a Szechuan Sauce poster, with the purchase of Buttermilk Crispy Tenders at ONLY the following 13 local participating McDonald’s restaurants:
- 4696 BONNEY RD in Virginia Beach
- 5833 NORTHAMPTON BLVD in Virginia Beach
- 5349 INDIAN RIVER RD in Virginia Beach
- 3212 WESTERN BRANCH BLVD in Chesapeake
- 2716 AIRLINE BLVD in Portsmouth
- 801 LONDON BLVD in Portsmouth
- 15480 WARWICK BLVD in Newport News
- 601 ABERDEEN RD in Hampton
- 1196 BIG BETHEL RD in Hampton
- 1131 W MERCURY BLVD in Hampton
- 1901 POCOHANTAS TRL in Williamsburg
- 1316 W EHRINGHAUS ST in Elizabeth City