NORFOLK (WVEC) -- The final disciplinary actions for the civilian personnel assigned to Naval Station Norfolk the night Petty Officer 2nd Class Mark Mayo was killed in the line of duty on the USS Mahan have been completed.
Friday the actions taken against the remaining three civilian security personnel were announced.
- The civilian security officer who allowed Jeffrey Tyrone Savage through the gate resigned in lieu of proposed removal from federal service.
- The civilian night watch commander supervisor who failed to provide proper oversight received a 14 day suspension without pay.
- The civilian police officer at the gate who failed to alert security about the unauthorized entry in a timely manner received a 14 day suspension without pay.
According to the Navy, disciplinary actions against federal civilian employees follow a different process and timeline than active duty personnel depending on the evidence and individual circumstances. The process took 30 days for a final disposition of their discipline and is in accordance with federal statute.
"We owe it to Petty Officer Mark Mayo's legacy, to the men and women who serve on our installations, and to the American taxpayer, to ensure we protect our workforce and the assets the nation entrusts to us," said the Navy's Mid-Atlantic Regional Commander, Rear Adm. Rick Williamson.
"Immediately following the shooting last year, immediate corrective actions were implemented on Naval Station Norfolk, and all installations within my region, to ensure an event like this does not happen again. I take my responsibility seriously as the commander of the installations in my region and it is my responsibility to hold those who failed in their duties accountable."
"The entire investigative process into the events last year was a deliberate and thoughtful one that took time to ensure it was done right. Now that the formal investigation has been completed, I have taken appropriate disciplinary and administrative actions," said Williamson.