TOKYO, Japan — The Tokyo Olympics are going to happen - but almost surely in 2021 rather than in four months as planned.
This seems clear after the International Olympic Committee said it was considering a postponement.
Major Olympic nations like Canada and Australia are adding pressure by making it clear they will not go if the games are staged this year. IOC President Thomas Bach sent a letter to athletes explaining the decision and why it might take so long, while also acknowledging the extended timeline might not be popular.
He said a final decision was likely to come in four weeks.
- 6 Florida college students test positive for coronavirus
- Florida State Parks closed beginning March 23 to follow CDC guidelines
- The coronavirus has you under a ‘stay-at-home’ order: What does that mean?
- Tampa mayor: 'Stay-at-home' order extremely likely by early next week
- Coronavirus in Florida latest: Gov. Ron DeSantis says state is working to increase testing
- How to have a quarantine birthday during the COVID-19 outbreak
- This interactive map shows coronavirus cases in Florida
- Coronavirus resources: Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP: