PORTSMOUTH, Va. — Time is running out to apply to get help paying your tolls.
The Virginia Department of Transportation is offering toll relief for qualified people who use the Midtown and Downtown tunnels, but the deadline to apply is Friday, February 15.
The toll relief benefits begin on March 1, 2019.
To qualify, participants must:
- Reside in Norfolk or Portsmouth
- One of the following is required for proof of residency:
- Driver’s license
- Utility, telephone or cable bill
- Checking or savings account statement
- Property tax bill
- Mortgage or proof of home ownership
- Rental contract
- Military documentation confirming residency
- Earn $30,000 or less per year
- One of the following is required for proof of income:
- One month of pay stubs
- IRS 1040
- Employer’s statement
- Self-declaration of no income
- Have or open a Virginia E-ZPass account
Once a participant’s E-ZPass records eight or more trips through the Downtown or Midtown tunnels during a calendar month, a 75-cent refund is credited to his or her Virginia E-ZPass account for each trip.
According to VDOT, there is no limit on the number of discounted trips drivers can receive in a month. Current participants must re-enroll to receive 2019 Toll Relief Program benefits.
For more information on Toll Relief, click here or call 855-530-5506.
► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13News Now App.