OCRACOKE, N.C. — Many residents on Ocracoke Island are still working to put the pieces of their lives together nearly two months after Hurricane Dorian ravaged the area.
And one church wants to make their lives a little bit easier this holiday season and beyond.
Lifesaving Church is partnering with Salt & Light Consulting to start its 'Adopt A Family' Program, which began Oct. 8 and is for all residents of Ocracoke affected by Hurricane Dorian.
Short-term and long-term choices are available to help families. You can choose from a number of options to help a family which includes:
- Basic Needs (Immediate Needs)
- Clothing (new only and size needed)
- Shoes (new only and size needed)
- Toys by age (New or like-new - no broken or missing pieces)
- Books (by age)
- School supplies (by grade)
- Linens (towels/bed linens/washcloths)
- Other small household needs)
- Recover and Rebuilding Needs (Long-Term Needs)
- Appliance donations (new or like-new - no broken pieces and in working condition)
- Building tools (new)
- Carpet remnants (new)
- Small household appliances (new)
- Furniture (new or like-new)
- Mattresses by size (new or like-new)
Organizers ask that basic needs need to be dropped off or mailed as soon as possible. Physical and monetary donations are also being taken.
The church is still looking for donors, according to organizers You can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested in participating in this program.
Once you're matched with a family, you'll be given the family's list of needs according to what you are able to provide. You won't be given the family's identity in order to protect their privacy, but a specific number will be given to you instead for identification purposes.
All items can be dropped off at Goose Creek Marine or mailed to Life Saving Church from Tuesday through Saturday starting at 8:30 a.m. and ending at 4:30 p.m.:
- Goose Creek Marine
- 4546 NC 24 HWY, Newport, NC 28570
You can also mail donations to Life Saving Church if you're unable to reach the drop-off location:
- Life Saving Church
- P.O. Box 68, Ocracoke, NC 27960
(For checks please mark the memo: Ocracoke Adopt A Family)
All items should be clearly marked with your family's assigned number and should be in boxes or bags with your name and organization's name.
There's currently no deadline for when sign-ups will end and the church is accepting a variety of donations. The effort is going on for the next few months.