Local schools and city facilities in Virginia and North Carolina offered as a last resort before Hurricane Florence made landfall on the shores of North Carolina Friday morning.
Emergency shelters were available starting Wednesday, but now those shelters are starting to pack up and close down following Governor Northam's order to lift the mandatory evacuation order for Zone A residents in Hampton Roads and around coastal Virginia.
The state-run shelter at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg closed at 6 p.m. Friday and the state-run shelter at Christopher Newport University in Newport News will close at noon on Saturday, Sept. 15.
Some city facilities that were being used as shelters will shut down shelter operations and start resuming normal operations either Friday or Saturday.
Here's a list of the following shelters that have closed since the evacuation order was lifted and shelters that are still open to the public:
- Chowan County: Shelters will close Friday at 3 p.m.
- Currituck County does not open any pre-storm shelters
- Dare County: Knightdale High School located at 1001 Bryan Caulk Lane (Pet-Friendly) opening Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 2 p.m.
- Gatesville: Gates County High School (88 US Hwy 158) opening at 5 p.m. on Wed.
- Elizabeth City: No shelters announced
- Northampton County: All emergency shelters were closed at 10 a.m.
- Chesapeake: Chesapeake opened up three different facilities for sheltering Thursday morning. All three shelters will close at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14:
• Indian River Middle (2300 Old Greenbrier Road): General Population
• Greenbrier Middle School (1016 Greenbrier Pkwy): Medical Needs Only
• Indian River Community Center (250 Old Greenbrier Road): Pets only
- A state-run shelter is being operated at Christopher Newport University. Click here for details
- Crossroads Elementary & Southside STEM Academy: CLOSING at 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14
- Bayview Community Center: CLOSING at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 15
- Norview High School: CLOSING at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 15
- I.C. Norcom High School, Medical, (1901 London Blvd.): CLOSING at 1 p.m. Friday
- Churchland Middle, Dog and Cat, (4051 River Shore Road): CLOSED at 11 a.m. Friday
- All city emergency shelter operations will cease at 5 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14
- Luther Porter Jackson Middle School (4155 New Design Road, Dendron, VA) opened at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12. All pets brought to the shelter will be transported to Surry County Animal Control Shelter by an Animal Control Officer for temporary housing.
- Kellam High School (2665 W Neck Rd) will open at 6 p.m. Wednesday, is medically-friendly
We will update this list when we learn more.
How to find a Red Cross shelter
Go to www.redcross.org to find open emergency shelters.
► Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13News Now App.